Sunday, March 18, 2007

My week as a foodie

Since M is away on a business-trip to China for a week (do I have to mention I hope for some time for bead-shopping on his behalf?) I thought I might entertain myself with a week of experimenting in the kitchen.

I'm not all that interested in cooking or baking, I'm more into eating the stuff when its cooked or baked instead. But sometimes I do have my bright moments in the kitchen and yes it is fun - if you're able to avoid thinking about all the washing up afterwards... - to experiment and try out new things.

I also like the idea of knowing exactly what it is I'm putting in my mouth. Simple, clean products with lots of flavours, that's my melody!

Today I made a vegetarian lasagna from a recipe by Tina - a well-known Swedish TV-chef. Not a favorite chef of mine, perhaps due to the fact that she cooks way to much meat and talks in a dialect that's hardly my favourite. The only reason for me to buy her cookbooks was that they were sold for a price that can only be describe as silly low at our local Konsum recently.

070318 009

I thought this recipe sounded nice, with all those vegetables and a simple cheese sauce. But it turned out to be quite a disappointment, the oven-baked peppers were a waste of time, since their flavour just couldn't compete with the rest of the veggies (eggplant, tomatoes, garlic, zucchini, shallot). The recipe called for 1,5 packets of fresh lasagne - the reality called for less than 0,5... The spices were a bit boring and the whole dish was just bland and beige. I would have wanted some "edge" to it, some heat and punch.

Maybe I'll try it again, skip the peppers, try other spices. On the other hand I do have an old recipe, actually one from Weight-Watchers, for veggie lasagne, that's really simple and full of flavour. So why bother with a rather overworked recipe when one can keep it simple and more flavorous?

070317 009

The food for Friday was a rather simple, tasty warm pasta-sallad with soya-balls, feta, carrots and cherry-tomatoes. Own invention, and quite a nice one if I might say so myself.

The food for Saturday (no pic) was another simple macaronisallad with carrots (there's no dish that can't be improved with carrots!), chili-feta, soya-sausages and cherry-tomatoes.

For tomorrow I'm thinking soup or maybe one of my favourite dishes - experimental-free day - quorn-banana-curry casserole... Or perhaps leftovers, even if I invite a happy dinner-guest (spelling m-o-t-h-e-r) the fridge is starting to fill up...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...