Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Meet Stevia

070521 012
This is Stevia, a South American herb that's 300 (!) times sweeter than sugar. It has been used by Indian tribes in Paraguay for centuries, mainly as a sweetener in tea and for medical reasons. Apparently the use of it hasn't been completely without controversy, mainly in the US.

More interesting details and studies concerning this plant, and links, you'll find here and here.

Myself, I had no idea such a plant even existed, until I stumbled over it at the garden festival at Street some weeks ago. One plant came with me home, since I find it really interesting to try this sweet thing out. She - of course it's a she! - still lives in a flower pot and awaits her place in the flowerbed. I haven't tried to sweeten anything with her yet - but as far as I've read I'm once again impressed by nature's ingenuity, Stevia kicks!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...