Saturday, March 07, 2009

Heavenly Beetroot Risotto

IMG_5163

In general I am no fan of risotto, I can actually count the times I've enjoyed eating a risotto on one hand. To be more precise on three fingers of one hand. Because either they're just too baby food mushy or too stout lacking creamy smoothness or even sadly undercooked crunchy.

I've been very less than successful with making my own risotto, they've both ended up plain boring nothingness in rice pudding shape. The only reason for trying this third variety was that I had to finish the box with arborio rice and beetroot (as well as carrot) is usually one veggie that can lift a whole meal, perhaps even risotto...

And what can I say, other than beetroot did it again, three's a charm, this risotto went straight into my top three risotto list. It was just heavenly in all it's simplicity, lovely smooth, creamy, the ingredients and seasoning complementing eachother perfectly.

4-6 portions

1-2 yellow onions
6-7 beetroots, medium size
3 tbsp sunflower oil
6 dl arborio rice
15-18 dl boiling water (or more if needed)
2 vegetable stock cubes
salt, black peppar
dry thyme, generous amount (I think marjoram would work well too)
2 dl vegetarian cheese, grated (preferably with a not too distinct flavour)

1. Chop onion, peel and grate beetroots.
2. Fry onion in oil in a thick-bottomed saucepan. Add rice, fry some more then add the grated beetroots and thyme.
3. Boil water, add water and the vegetable stock little by little to the rice mix, keep stirring, keep adding more water when the water has been absorbed by the rice until risotto is creamy. Add the vegetarian grated cheese, salt and pepper.

I served this risotto with vegetarian soy sausages, quickly fried in pan. Easy, simple and super tasty. Bon appetite ~

IMG_5157

5 comments:

Magne said...

Hi
you have a nice blog, Pia. And I like your photos. And recepies. In my family we are all vegeterians (plus fish). I found your site by mistake, googling what god knows what.

You inspired me to start a blog (BoMagne.blogspot.com). Today. 30 minutes ago. Thanks!

I have a daughter Karin, 31, who also likes jewellery making, has been to art schools and finished law school in Uppsala last year. And who adores dogs. And cats. And horses. And alpacka sheep. And ....

Regards from Magne (61) in Göteborg
(hope your not offended by me peeping into your life.)

Mama Feline said...

This looks great Pia! So nice to see vegetarian options!
I'll be trying this soon :)

Pia K said...

Hi Magne, thanks for a nice comment! Great that I have inspired you to start a blog, good luck. Your daughter sounds like a great woman and thumbs up on your family's vegetarianism:)

Thanks, Forever Feline, let me know what you think when you've tried it!

Terry said...

Oh it looks yummy!!!
Not so bad being a vegetarian, eh Pia K?.......Love Terry

Pia K said...

Thanks, Terry. Gosh no, being a vegetarian has completely and only just advantages.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...