Thursday, August 15, 2024

dear pia *this is a recruitment scam*

 













” Dear Pia,


I hope this message finds you well. 


We have been following your work closely and are very impressed with your success in leveraging Meta tools to drive business growth. Your experience and skills are exactly what we are looking for in a X X X for the European Market at *insert a well known tech company*.


In this role, you will lead innovative social media strategies, expand our brand's presence, 

and enhance user engagement. YY is committed to fostering a dynamic work environment that encourages creativity and innovation, where you 

can develop and shape the future of digital communications.


If this opportunity excites you, please respond to this email so we can discuss the role in more detail. Our HR team is ready to guide you through the next steps of the recruitment process.


We look forward to the possibility of working with you and welcoming you to the YY team.


Best regards,


YY HR Team”


This is how a very elaborate and personal attempt to recruitment fraud started with an email.


If every email or LinkedIn message from recruiters over the years, would lead to an actual job or gig offer I would be a very rich gal. 


It rarely does. And I’m not.


I also find the ’we have been following your work closely…” quite creepy and somewhat… disturbing. Rather than the ’insipid flattering’ it was probably meant to be. 


Maybe that just the company’s TOV and friendly approach (that can be easily misconstrued…), who am I to say 🤷🏻‍♀️


Also the  ’…very impressed with your success in leveraging Meta tools to drive business growth.’ is a bit fishy. Unless the company had access to if not all but at least a fair portion of my previous clients data and statistics there were no way of having any insights in this. 


So my calm and cautious reply was ’Sounds interesting. Do tell me more’. 


to which I got this reply.


”Thank you for your prompt response and for expressing interest in the X X X position for the European market at YY . We are excited about the potential of you joining our team.


To provide you with a comprehensive overview of the role, including key responsibilities, working hours, and compensation, we would like to schedule a call at your convenience. During this call, we can discuss the specifics of the position and address any questions you may have.


*Insert Link to follow to schedule call*”


Neither the email address, mail design nor the link were obviously fraudulent. 


It was only when I tried to schedule the call that I became really suspicious. You could only schedule the call by logging in to your Facebook account (and thereby giving the YY company access to your password).


Being vigilant and better safe than sorry I then told them just that and getting a friendly reply like this:


”Thank you for expressing your concerns. We understand your caution, given the prevalence of scams.


I would like to assure you that this is a legitimate opportunity with YY. We are genuinely interested in discussing the X X X position for Europe with you.


We use Facebook for scheduling to leverage its secure and user-friendly platform. It ensures the privacy and security of both parties involved and allows for seamless integration with our communication tools.


If you prefer, we can arrange the call using an alternative method. Please let us know a convenient time for you, and we will accommodate your preferences.


Thank you for your understanding and patience. We are looking forward to speaking with you and exploring this exciting opportunity further.”


I gave them some times that worked for me to just give me a call.


Never got a reply to that.


All through the process I have searched in vain for similar recruitment scams. I even asked an American friend if she thought it was legit or an attempted fraud (thank you Amy!), she didn’t find any recruiter scams like this in her search either. 


As the well known tech company in question doesn’t have a customer relations phone number or email to ask them if this was an actual, legit job opportunity, there was no way for me to get a quick reply to that.


The attempted fraud (which I suppose was an attempt to scam me off my FB and IG accounts) did not tick any of the usual boxes when it comes to recruitment frauds. 


It was a personalized email.

It was very well written. (AI?)

The potential position was intriguing, fun and well suited to what I do (communication and social media) but also interesting enough to give a new and international perspective with a lot of growth possibilities.


To be able to ✅ all this it must mean that the Fraudster Someone had to have studied me online and painted a fairly accurate picture from its findings in to what might wet my appetite.


And all that effort just to get my FB password.


Which seems utterly crazy to me.


And quite quite creepy.


What I learnt from this elegant, elevated, elaborate  recruitment scam is that


A) I am more open to possible job offers than I thought, that doesn’t really fit my future plans. Just make them interesting and plausible enough, I’ll concider them.


B) I’m grateful that I am suspicious and vigilant by nature. And I will continue to be so.


C) Thank goodness for the two-factor authentication on FB (or any other platform log in).


The day when a very intriguing (and possibly unexpected) job offer (that is not a scam) comes my way will come.


It just didn’t happen in July 2024.


Be vigilant out there, the fraudsters have elevated their game, don’t fall for it!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...