Saturday, March 19, 2022

vegan taco pie (recipe)

 

In Sweden the classic Friday dinner since a couple of decades (?) is concidered to be tacos. I’m not a great fan of tacos though, so it’s a very rare (practically non-existing really) meal for me. However. This savoury vegan taco flavoured pie I’ve been meaning to make for ages, original recipe in Swedish here - https://planti.se/recept/tacopaj

First I searched in vain for the Planti dairyfree cooking fraiche paprika chili in grocery stores for a long time. When I finally stumbled over them I still didn’t got around to making it because I’ve always found making pie crust is such a time consuming bore. And it felt like a million years since I last made a savoury pie, I’m not a huge fan of those either. Or perhaps I just connect them to non-vegan pies with an unsavoury amount of dairy, eggs and cheese and that notion in itself is just so off-putting. Who knows how the mind works. (Especially after two years of corona isolation…)

When I finally did make it I was practically blown away by how utterly delicious, moreish and fabulous it was. And I have made it regularly ever since. The pie crust thing isn’t as daunting anymore. And besides, it isn’t suppose to be a flawless looking piece of pie, just appetizing, rustic and inviting.

So if you love taco and pie this is the best of both worlds, a hearty plantbased pie and classic taco taste. This vegan taco pie takes Friday coziness (aka Fredagsmys which is a very Swedish concept, like Fika) to new heights.
VEGAN TACO PIE
4-6 servings

The crust
3 dl wheat flour
125 g refrigerator dairyfree butter
3-4 tablespoons ice cold water

The filling
2 yellow onions, finely chopped
2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
500 g vegan mince
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
4 dl Planti vegan Cooking Fraiche Paprika Chili (not sure what’s available in your grocery store if outside Sweden, but I’m sure you can find the equivalent)
1 red pepper, finely chopped
2 dl corn kernels
salt
black pepper

Decoration
1 box of cherry or plum tomatoes

How to make it - 
Pie dough:
Pinch together butter and flour. Add the water and mix quickly to a dough. Roll out and dress a pie tin with it. Dot the bottom with a fork. Myself I just put the ingredients in a mixer and let it do the work. Also I never roll pie doughs, I just dress the pie tin with pieces of dough evenly.
Set the oven to 225 C degrees.
Let the pie dough rest for 30 minutes in the fridge.
Pre-bake in the oven for 10 minutes.

Taco filling:
Fry the yellow onion and garlic in a little rapeseed oil until it softens. Turn the soy (or whatever vegan mince you have) mince over and let it simmer for a few minutes.
Season with cumin and coriander. Stir in flavoured cooking fraiche, paprika and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the minced meat filling into the pre-baked pie crust and press it down lightly. Decorate with the tomatoes on top of the pie and bake everything at 200 C degrees for about 40-50 minutes.
Serve with a simple salad.

And above all, enjoy!

2 comments:

e said...

I will give this a try. The best thing I was surprised to eat in my short time in Stockholm was deep dish pizza circa 1973. Thanks for this recipe.

Pia K said...

I hope you liked it, e!
I do enjoy pan pizza, but I had my first one when Pizza Hut opened in Sweden in the early 90ies I think. Ages since I had one now, and I still haven't tasted their vegan ones...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...