Thursday, February 28, 2019

the name day and other weekly nuggets

salvador dali sculpture in stockholm, february 2019 -

It was a long time since I had had a facial when I finally had a much needed appointment the other day. At least five years. And it was a dreaded appointment, as my skin condition has been another issue these past few years and I've been working hard on improving it since 2017. It's definitely better, but not good. And this was the first time I was worried the beautician would be shocked at its condition. Which obviously is ridiculous, that's what they're there for, help people get better skin, not condemning them for whatever reason they're not having great skin days already.

These past few weeks I've also begun a new skincare regime, with some new Dermalogica products for sensitive and dry skin which I think has helped too. Gone are the days of keeping facial things simple obviously. Or gone are the days when it was even possible to keep them simple.

new glasses, february 2019

Happy to report things weren't nearly as bad as I had thought, in fact they were much better. The general skin condition was great, supple and soft, the sensitivity, areas prone to redness and surface dryness are my issues. Still. But as you can see, after that facial I'm glowing. Or it could be the fact I'm wearing one of my pair of new glasses. That come with a really nifty sunglass clip-ons. Or it could be the sun, the lovely sun and a brisk walk.

new glasses, february 2019

Unseasonable global warming weather, so I find that most every day these days comes with a bad aftertaste of climate change angst. But amidst that, I'm really grateful for the non-icy streets. There are reports of both snow and rain in the weeks to come, if that happens at least I have both my Icebugs and ice grippers so I'll be alright. Touch wood.

The sun has been out a lot these past weeks, and that's glorious, but the winds are still chilly and harsh - so hats and mittens are still required. And here are the clip-ons. And obviously in some weather, some angles, some lights, my hair is a lot more grey than I like to admit.

But more often than not I think it's super cool to embrace they greyness. I've begun to follow the account @Grombre on Instagram, and there's a lot of inspiration and empowerment coming from it. Hooray for all the gorgeous women who stop dying their hair and show their true amazing selves!

årstiderna organic vegan foodbox, food ambassador, february 2019 -

On the subject of hair and unruly wisps, after I did a blunt cut on myself last month - oh I'm a renassaince woman indeed - I decided to invest in a fancy modern flat iron. Not because I want to flat-iron my hair regularly, or at all, but it's easier to get a sleek, glossy look with it. Plus I admit, I adore flat iron curls.

Well, to adore them in theory and to actually being able to achieve them, there's an ocean of skills between them. Because a) I find a really hot flat iron incredibly scary to try and master, b) no matter how many YouTube tutorials you watch to master them yourself, it takes eons of practice apparently. Not to mention loads of hair products, so you don't damage the hair. I'm not a fan of loads of hair products. But I suppose, that with my type of hair it's the same as with the skin, gone are the days of being able to keep it simple.

So far I've mostly made some weird granny glamour curls instead of the carefree beach curls I was after. And being able to get the perfect flat iron curl flick with hair as frizzy as mine, that's no mean feat. I guess, a little practice on a regular basis will make reasonable perfect one day. Although, how on earth do people get those snazzy curls on the back of their heads without burning the scalp?

Every day you learn something new, but you also get a gazillion new questions about the world and people's behaviours. Sometimes it can be such superficial things as how to master the skill of making the perfect flatiron curls.

new glasses, february 2019

And here are the glasses number two. I think they're very caramelly, fun and perky, not looking like anything else I have or have had before. Also, when I picked them up at the optician the other frames were back in stock so I decided to be really very kind to myself and my eyes and get them too. Because clearly, a range that's called New Business and a model called Creative, does call my name. They're red, big, round and very cute too.


salvador dali sculpture in stockholm, february 2019 -

Something else that's reasonably round, quirky and very charming is the authentic Salvador Dali sculpture above. It's called The Nobility of Time and was one of three large sculptures brought to Stockholm for the antique fair earlier this month. I had so looked forward to seeing them all but alas I completely missed they would only be here very briefly and to be removed last weekend already, so I missed the other two. Which is so very disappointing.

salvador dali sculpture in stockholm, february 2019 -

Something artsy I'll definitely not miss is the annual spring art salon at Liljevalchs. Which I'm sure won't be as amazing as last year's, but still much worth a visit I'm sure. Plan to go next week.

catfood and public transport, stockholm, february 2019

In the category things I'm on the other hand hope to avoid as much as possible, is catfood shopping and lugging it home on public transport. Usually I'm able to car-pool with some kind soul. But last week it was alas unavoidable and jeez that was hard work (even if you feel pretty satisfied once you've made it home). The shopping cart couldn't take two bags, and besides it would have been to heavy even if there'd been room. So my right arm got a lot of exercise that day. While my left arm did the sympathetic huff'n and puff'n.

Yes I have looked into home deliveries from pet stores, unfortunately I'm then unable to use my discounts and no I won't pay more than necessary for already expensive cat food, to get it delivered home. Well, at least it'll be good for my biceps.

smarter than your phone, lunch inspiration, akademibokhandel stockholm, february 21, 2019

I've also attended a great little lunch talk by the author, a psychologist, of this book "Smarter than your phone" on how too many of us need to start using our smartphones instead of letting them use us. My best trick is to NOT have your notifications on, which is something that the book also talks about. I've never had that, it's so unnecessary and will just add stress. And to be honest I find it incredibly rude when other people constantly check their notifications in the company of others. People desperately need to be more present.

vegan food stockholm and suburbs, february 2019 -

On the Pia-day, always February 22 in Sweden, I got tulips, sunshine, vegan candy at IKEA - who knew they'd be good for that?? - and a lovely soup lunch. Oh, and a much awaited pocket edition of Jojo Moyes "Still me".
vegan food at home, february 2019 -
The interview the other week alas didn't lead to anything, obviously they looked for someone with another set of skills. I'm okey with that. What I really don't appreciate is the fact that the recruiter didn't have the decency to call, despite having promised to, and tell me so herself. I only found out because I contacted her to get news on what was happening. It's just lazy and rude recruiting not to get back to the selected few you interview, but that's a too common thing in HR alas.

stockholm, sweden, february 2019 -

I have had another first interview, for an interesting communications job in the circular economy industry. The little extra unexpected and rare plus is that the headquarters is situated in my suburb, which means it would take me 5 minutes by bus to and from work. Such glorious time-saving prospects. Fingers crossed.

vegan food at home, february 2019 -

Currently thinking about the old saying amongst salespersons "For every 10 no there will be a yes", it's probably the same when it comes to job searching. I've given myself March to find that elusive perfect job, with hopefully my kind of people and an organisaton where one can thrive and be happy. After that I possibly need to re-evaluate my strategy.

For now I'm taking various courses, going to talks and seminars to better myself and my skillset. Now is the time for that.

the deer shirt, bric a brac stockholm, february 2019 💚

I've also said yes to not only a couple of dresses since New Year's - still need to be much better at saying no - but also a dear deer shirt. Which happened to have been completely paid by the cash refund slip I got when I sold second hand clothes at the Bric a Brac shop last year. So more clothes out than in at least. And look how very well it teams up with the cute squirrel and acorn necklace from Palava. Going all woodland this spring.

stockholm, sweden, february 2019 -

And on the very last day of February I took the the wee ones to rekindle with what's still the best mural in Stockholm, the Millenium-trilogy inspired colourful piece of art by Brazilian street art brothers Os Gemeos, painted in 2017.

new glasses, february 2019

As well as picked up the third pair of glasses -

and did the contact lens screening. Turns out some people can actually wear contacts with different strengths in the left respectively right eye, thus being able to both read and see far without having to add reading glasses. From the tests I did today it looks like I'm one of those. That would indeed be a relief. I'm getting lenses sent home to try out and then go back for check-up. -

so now I'm just super psyched for a new month. New glasses, New Business, here we go, March, let's make this happen! I bring the glasses for every occasion, you bring the business, okey? Many grateful thanks in advance.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...