Sunday, May 06, 2018

ode to fjällräven re-kånken backpack

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

Once upon a time I had a slight case of addiction fondness for expensive, posh handbags (Mulberry). Back then I didn't have as much trouble justifying buying leather products as I have now. And back then my finances were quite different. As were my shopping habits in general. I'll even admit to feeling pretty embarassed reading old blogposts like this about expensive, leather handbags.

But that was I then, today's I is quite different. What a difference some years make. I'm glad we evolve as human beings, at least on a personal level - as a specie I'm very much not sure.

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

I've never been a backpack person, it's just not my style. Plus I think it's a drawback to always having to take it off to reach for your belongings. Handbags are much more convenient. That said, I did get my first classic, Swedish Kånken backpack in 2012. For work, and with room enough for laptop.

I haven't carried the laptop around much in it, but it has been great for travelling. My issue with it though, is that my swayback - which is rather prominent - doesn't approve of heavy backpacks and I often end up with an aching back as well as shoulders.

I know you can buy attachments, strap them around your waist and they'll ease the backpack burden. But I haven't been using it quite as much to justify that.

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

Still, I have been toying with the idea of getting a more Pia appropriate colourful, regular size Kånken for years. And when I heard about a new, special edition called Re-Kånken last year I went and had a look. And fell in colour love. Plus I think it's amazing that the whole backpack is made of one single thread made from 11 plastic PET bottles. Coloured in the Spin dyed-tecchnique, which reduces the environmental impact.



Learn more about it in this video from Fjällräven.

The basic boring colours aside the Re-kånken offers much deeper, brighter colours than the other Kånken backpacks, which also fade in colours over the years. And there's no risk of them bleeding colours on light clothes.

I ended up chosing from the three different colours above, mainly between pink and that gorgeous teal, turquoise called Emerald. When I had a little guessing game on Instagram on which one I chose it was pretty much unanimous that the blue one screamed Pia. And yes, it did. I adore the pink one, but it's trickier to match all year round, for someone who wears as much colours as I. It would be a lovely summer backpack though.

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

I'm still surprised how quickly I did adapt to being a backpack person. And how fun it has been (especially during the summer months) to unintentionally match it with outfits.

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

My swayback vs backpack is still bugging me, so I have to be careful not filling it too heavy. And I've noticed that my left thumb grasp is a bit sore by all the hoisting the backpack up on my back. As it isn't conventient to carry the travelcard or iPhone in the backpack you have to carry that in other ways. You just have get new routines for it. For security reasons I have a padlock on it at all times, pick pockets unwelcome.

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

I've basically worn it every day, I'm out and about, ever since I got it. Come rain come shine. Come work come play. I've managed to stain it with lipstick (the lid came off in the front pocket), but I think it was reasonably easy to clean with soap and water.

As it is re-made from plastic/polyester the surface has become a bit rugged. Which isn't ideal, but I suppose is a price you pay for the material and the awesomeness of how its made. And it's not visible unless you look really close. Also, do note that it's very susceptible to cat hair. In other words, keep it out of reach from felines.

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

My backpack in general and Kånken in particular loving mother got a red Re-Kånken too.

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

A funny, unexpected detail of these past 10 months since I got it, is that during the first few months alone I got more compliments from friends and strangers alike on how lovely it looks and how amazing the colour is, than I've gotten for all those years over the expensive, posh, leather handbags. Go figure. Dare to compliment.

Now a little colourful Re-Kånken, shoe per diem, outfit cavalcade over our time together.

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

Here's to many years of adventures together! 
And first another, full summer of fun!

fjällräven re-kånken, 2017 - 18

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...