Monday, September 15, 2008

General Musings & Business Cards

This is going to be a post of general musings. When I begin I have three particular things on my mind, but due to my fondness for branching out who knows what it'll end...

Anyway. Firstly, I wonder why so many, far to many - really most of them it sadly seems... Or is it just the ones that show up in the more public realm of things? -, politicians have such difficulties in admitting to their own mistakes and wrongdoings? We can all drop a brick now and then, but the truly great and good people admit to their own mistakes and do not always and forever try to blame others, preferably their political opponents and predecessors.

Countless are and countless alas will be the times I want to scream at the politician (no matter what party affiliation) on TV or elsewhere to grow up and take responsibility for X's sake. If one could point out only one (admittedly a tough one) thing that's wrong with politics today - and I guess probably have been for a long, long time - it must be this constant refusal to take responsibility for one's own actions, mistakes and spooners.

I can actually only recall once these past year or so when I've heard a politician actually admit to and take responsibility for a stupid mistake that shouldn't have happened and that cost a lot of time, energy and taxpayers' money. I didn't agree with her political views but I almost sent her flowers for that frank admittance of error.

One leading light when it comes to always blaming others is the current Swedish foreign minister, the way he constantly avoids responsibility taking, his fondness of whitewashing, his lack of humility and diplomatic skills could be rather laughable if it wasn't such a perfect example of one major thing that's wrong with politics of today.

I always wonder if all these politicians, or for that matter people in general who never admits to their own wrongdoings in public, also act like this at home and with family. How do they solve domestic issues and what kind of role model are they to their own children. In the case of this particular Swedish minister, like father like son...


Secondly. Now it's getting to be more personal. Yet once again I'm more or less forced to make a decision that probably (touch wood) isn't as bad as that awful excuse for a course, it'll be a six weeks thing - as opposed to those planned eight months - and hopefully things will finally sort themselves out during that time. Although how many times have I thought that by now...

On the other hand I'm *slightly* tired of the career coaching-business which, despite all the good hints, tips and talks I've had over the years, also have been, in the end, a great deal of talk and a whole less deal of action. And I'm well aware of the fact that those generous 10 minutes (...) I got from that coach's time for me to be able to make a better supported decision about this "intensive career coaching" for six weeks was only meant for me to say yes please, fantastic opportunity - and for them to get funded by taxpayers' money.

So, my thoughts right now are, what's my alternative, really. And she did promise I wouldn't be forced to sit in those appallingly stark and uninspiring premises learning how to use a computer and how to write a job application 9-5 for six weeks. It would be a very individual set-up. But I did get the distinct feeling she didn't much care what I wanted out of it or listen that much to what I said. And six weeks with something humdrumly been-there-done-that is six weeks too much.

So, at a meeting tomorrow I have some ideas on how to make a more well informed decision as to whether hand over six weeks of my life or not. Since I'm not all that keen to act a human test subject, once again, to publicly funded blah-blah labour market measures that really shouldn't be necessary if the Swedish labour market was a wee bit healthier and sound...


Thirdly. Please note and applaude my optimistic approach here - on a whim I ordered new business cards. I should get them by next week and hopefully they will look just as smashing as I hope and think they will. One of the neat thing about them is that one is able to use one's own pictures and if one might be hesitant as to which exact photo is THE best, one can chose practically as many as one want. One picture for one card.

Myself I'm often unsure which picture will represent me and my skills best, I have so many favourites, and one getter might like it strictish in black and white, while another one like a flowery, colourful thing. Or with a cat, a house, Sweden, a beach, sheep, garden, dog, hat, people...

Another neat thing is the fact you don't have to order hundreds and hundreds of business card, you can chose to order just 50. As I did this time. And with 50 different pictures, call me MS Indecisive... Now these great cards are also available in 100% recycled fibre, totally recyclable and biodegradeable plus totally chlorine free (TFC). Neat indeed.

For more information on MOO products and services, go to their website

1 comment:

Plastic Card Holders said...

Any business in any industry need a well-design business card.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...