Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I want candy


Anyone remember that hit from the 80ies with Bow Wow Wow? When I googled on the song it actually turned out that it has been re-recorded quite recently with a far-from-favourite-artist of mine and that it's also the name of a new British comedy. I had no idea... Perhaps that lack of idea derives from the fact that I sometimes tend to live in the past when it comes to candy?
And that past, or I prefer to call it a classic in the candy-department, was what I set out to write about today. The classic in this case being a toffee (kola in Swedish) that has roots from the 1950ies and is one of the products from the equally classic brand of Karamellpojkarna (translates The Caramell boys - that sounds like a hit, don't you think?
I also like their undertitle, Tre som gör gott/Three that do good. Yes, these toffees sure are soulfood in the very sweet sense of the word. As you can see, even the cats agree!
The classic toffees in question are called Hemkola (Hometoffee) and as far as I know they've been sold in the same package since the 50ies. First they were only two flavours - chocolate and hazelnut. Then came the liquorice one. Some months ago I discovered a new, remarkably tasty flavour of gingerbread (pepparkaka). And just recently the special - which turned out to be mint. In the back of my mind I think I remember a toffeeflavour of raspberry once upon a time, but I'm not completely sure it was of the Hemkola-family...
070424 007
I think they're quite the candything if your sweet-tooth like to enjoy something simple, good value for money, without frills.
Although I must admit they turned out to be quite an expensive part of the birthday-parcel I sent overseas today - the weight of those toffees made the postage rise to new, unforeseen heights. So *whoever you are* who'll get them, enjoy them as they cost their weight in gold! Well, almost anyway...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

someone makes licorice toffee? yumm!! I am obsessed with the black licorice/anise flavor. And not the watered down American version either, I like the strong, makes your eyes water European flavor. Mmmmm, there's a Scandinavian shop in my city, and I go there all the time to get my licorice fix. There's just nothing like it!

Pia K said...

Oh yes, we have several different kinds of liquorice toffee in Sweden. I'm not a great fan of liquorice, whether it being sweet or salt, strong or bland - but the toffee kind I do enjoy:)

We did have a quite nice liquorice ice-cream in Sweden many years ago, called Liquorice puck (like in icehockey).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...