Saturday, March 28, 2009

Saturday Treat - Classic Burnt Almonds

IMG_4652

The perfect Saturday sweet treat - feel like practising your Swedish then you say "lördagsgodis" lördag - Saturday's, godis - sweets, candy - just might be this traditional Swedish sweets called "brända mandlar" - burnt almonds.

These red, chewy ones are classic - as opposed to the other version, the caramelized ones often sold at Christmas fairs around Sweden, those are reasonably easy to make yourself, the classic aren't - but not all that easy to find of good quality. Lots of disgusting, too sugary, crystallized not nearly chewy enough ones sold in candy shops and at fairs, and I find myself rarely buying or eating them as a grown up since I quite prefer to dwell on childhood memories when all burnt almonds tasted heavenly and were a rare treat.

Edit - the burnt almond, that isn't really burnt but roasted is hidden inside the red coat which has a lovely chewy concistency of fudge.

6 comments:

roentare said...

I have never seen burnt almonds turning red!

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I've never had these before. They sound good.

Anonymous said...

Uh great a little swedish "lesson". :) I should learn more often, but I guess my motivations is still on holiday or so. But it´s getting better!! :)

Pia K said...

Ah neither have I, roentarre, sorry about being a bit unclear, I've edited the post and explained about the almond inside the fudgey coat:)

Oh yes, when they're good they're really, really good, Holler, mmm...

Well, candy sure is a high motivator for learning a new language, huh, Tardis...;)

Anonymous said...

Candy is denfinitely a good way to bring back my motivation. :) But my motivation comes back day by day, because I really want to learn Swedish. I think it´s a great language to learn. I just love to listen to it and I´m looking forward to the day that I can actually speek it. But it´s a slow process and still a long, long way to go. But I´m working on it!

Pia K said...

Imagine that someone can find Swedish beautiful, for me it's a practical language and a good base for learning other languages. I've never thought of it as nice to listen too. But I did get a lovely comment once, from a South African, that when Swedish and Norweigan women speak English it sounds like they're singing:) Good luck with your Swedish-learning, Tardis!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...