Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Eating Out - Café Blå Porten

IMG_9843

Blå Porten (Blue Gate) is a café - restaurant at Djurgården I've been *very* hesitant in visiting, since it is a classic Stockholm hang out for the Infamous Pram Mob - a modern and, I gather, a rather Swedish phenomena since I've never ever experienced this when travelling abroad, which will be addressed in its own post to come. But I can say as much as it involves three p:s as in petulant toddlers, prams and parents (mostly mothers) that have very less than considerate behaviour towards other guests and fellow beings ... - hence not being all that inviting for people who like to have a peaceful and lovely coffee break-lunch-whatever with chat.

IMG_9850

Though late last year the grumbling tummies made us brave and we decided to finally fearlessly face and fight the mob. Which that day, thank goodness, wasn't showing its usual fierce force. But. Or rather three big buts; the very snotty staff, the dirty tables and the headache inducing sound level in the café, made for a quite less than overall charming experience.

IMG_9848

And that despite the fact that the food was actually lovely - albeit very less than generous as far as salad, coffee not included in the somewhat hefty lunch price -, the creamy courgette soup wonderful and the feta cheese-spinach pie not half bad either.

IMG_9849

The cakes and buns on display looked absolutely mouthwatering, but for above mentioned reasons the lunch wasn't accompanied by dessert. And I really doubt we'll be returning for those same reasons. Which is a pity, since mainly less haughty staff, better cleaning, considerate child/pram possessors would make this place a rather lovely oasis for meet and food. Especially the inner courtyard's outdoor eating area in summers does look enchanting.

IMG_9855

IMG_9852
Blå Porten (with a website that seems to be under construction), Djurgårdsvägen 64, Stockholm

4 comments:

Jan said...

Good heavens, it's a wonder they stay in business. I guess some customers really enjoy being abused!

Pia K said...

To be honest, Jan, I think too many Swedes have just gotten accustomed to different sorts of obnoxious *modern* behaviours. A pity.

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

What a beautiful place - shame about the rest...

I'm afraid the Pram Phenomenon is all too common in certain parts of London. My favourite cafe is a no-no for me until the early afternoon or evening, when they've all gone...

Recently, I went there at 8am, just as they opened, for some breakfast - I'd just got off a plane, was shattered, and couldn't wait! Much to my horror, there was a mass pram invasion of about 12 mums + prams + babies + toddlers at about 8.15. I couldn't finish my breakfast fast enough. According to the owner, who grins and bears them through gritted teeth (they are, after all, a great source of income), they're there at the same time every morning...

Pia K said...

I'm so sorry to hear that, AFoS, it's so annoying beyond decent words really, I'm constantly amazed (in a non positive way) about the fullblown egoism and total lack of consideration towards other from this group...:( Poor café owner... In Sweden there is at least one site where cafés get blacklisted by pram proprietors since they've certain restrictions when it comes to this group of guests, those cafés always sounds interesting to me and of course that list can be used as a guide to peaceful cafés:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...