Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Scottish Stone Fellow

IMG_4627

Beside the road somewhere between the Isle of Skye and Ben Nevis I found these intriguing rock formations. With or without names on them. I promptly had to make my own with a few tossed rocks and stones. Later I learnt that these formations are called "cairn". Man made piles of stones with different purposes and meaning. For example they have lighthouse and navigation purposes, mark burial grounds and battlefields, mountain summits, spiritual and ceremonial meaning, mark hiking trails and so on.

IMG_4632

In Sweden these types of rock formations are called "röse" or "kummel" if they're used at sea for navigation purposes. But as far as I know there aren't a lot of these smaller man made piles still being made and worked on here. The ones we do have seem to be mostly ancient burial ground commemorations.

IMG_4624

Now, can you guess which one is my wee fellow? Which pile signals Pia was here?

Here he is, he might not look much but he's my little reusable eco-friendly footprint in Scotland. And if I may say so, rather well-shaped with base firmly on ground and snazzy looking in pink and grey.

IMG_4631

3 comments:

roentare said...

The images posted here are very good natural landscape. The rocks and the hills create a series of beauty through your photography

Terry said...

Dear Pia K
I am so glad that you liked the jack-in-the-pulpits.
I have been here several times looking for your Ruby Tuesday.
This post is just as good.
I tried to fine your mark in the picture but I couldn't.
Oh boy what a perfectly neat name, "The Isle of Skye"!
I wonder who ever thought of that!
I am going to look your posts over as I haven't for a while.
I want to see what I have been missing.
I had to make several posts for the traveling scarf blog and then after that I had a bad cold so I have neglected the rounds.
Now that I am feeling better , I must get caught up!...Love Terry

Oh brother what a whole lot of "I's" I used. Sorry about that Pia K....

Pia K said...

Glad you enjoyed, roentarre, and thanks for a kind comment.

Not felt much inspiration for RT post lately, Terry, I've had so much other on my mind. Well, I don't mind "I" because that's certainly an important part of life! Thanks for a sweet comment:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...