Friday, May 25, 2007

The Mission

Sydafrika 2007 483
I've come to realise, that my current mission in life is to try out new places to eat - not necessarily very fancy places (since well, frankly the price for eating out rarely goes hand in hand with the quality of the food and experience...) but more the places everyone can afford. Now and then.

And since one has to eat, everyday, one might as well, when the opportunity occurs or one is in the mood, seek out new places to have lunch, dinner or coffee at. I'm not really interested in cooking, but I've always loved to try out places for food while travelling, while at home.

And as it happens I've sort of gotten a bit of a special sleuthic sense for stumbling over - when not on a true mission with a designated goal - the neatest places. If I may say so myself. And I may indeed!

One of my most memorable moments is having lunch in the greenhouse at Badger's Hill Farm just outside Canterbury, UK - such a precious oasis!

And I just loved the ambiance - and tasty food - at Sirocco in Kalk Bay, South Africa (top pic) - drove by, the glimpse of it all just drew me in like a magnet...
Sydafrika feb 2007 637
Not to mention the tasty, extremly good value for money, with friendly staff, miniature of a restaurant nestled in a residential neighbourhood in Cape Town - The Daily Deli *miss a lot*

But, my life mostly revolves in and around Stockholm - and I really think there are a lot of good restaurants and cafés here - in every price range - so this mission sure keeps me going, walking up and down the streets of Stockholm (which is of course the perfect way to excercise some food off!)

Since there's absolutely no way one can try out every place - I'm not really sure if that's a good or bad thing... - one, a k a yours truly, really has to depend on ones own ability to ferret food-things out, as well as recommendations from friends, family and acquaintances.

I'm not really much for getting tips from magazines and newspapers - and that's the reason I probably would have missed out on today's great lunch-experience if it hadn't been for Anne *thanks for reading the newspaper and taking me there*
070525 003
A tiny place called Café Lola, which serves fantastic hot and cold sandwiches with quite the inventive stuffing - I had grilled halloumi on ryebread with chili/lemon mix and lettuce. Soo good! The coffee wasn't very enjoyable, but with that kind of sandwich sensation I don't really care.

Café Lola was also one of the cafés being nominated to the Golden Dragon, café-category, an annual competition held by the largest Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter (The Daily News).

At the moment it's quite an enjoyable thing to get a break now and then, from the musts in life, and sniff out these food-gems for my very personal enjoyment. But hey, I wouldn't mind getting paid for doing this...

Anybody interested in getting a Pia-approved - or not-approved - stamp on places to eat and drink - just give me a twist and shout!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...