Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Bit Of Gardening

IMG_1319

One day they're just tender buds, the next they have both bloomed and nearly faded...

Let me now introduce the wonderful, splendido, gorgeous smallish peony bush. Every year bursting with new buds, and every year it's been the target of a viscious ant attack. My animal/environmental friendly-live-and-let-live-but-just-not-on-the-peony-or-other-flowers-approach with cinnamon hasn't worked very well. Anyone got a helpful suggestion as to get those darn ants moving somewhere else, preferably a very long way away from my garden?

IMG_1322

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother always told me to leave the ants on the buds because they help the flowers open up. Not sure if that's true, but they've never hurt my peonies. Now, the skunk that dug mine up by the roots last year and killed it is another story...

stromsjo said...

Got one as well at the cottage and - yes - the local ants like it a lot. The peony doesn't seem to mind so I wouldn't consider the ants attackers?

John D. said...

I see I'm back in lovely, LOVELY Pialand! : ))

Hope you're feeling better Luv.

Love from the States.

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Ah, peonies. One of my favourite flowers. Also adored by my late mother. Maybe that's why I like them so much - they bring back happy memories. But I think it's also because of their wonderful vivid colour - so bold, so 'look at me'.

But I can't help you with the ant problem, I'm afraid!

Pia K said...

Hm, looks like it's just me thinking the ants don't do the peonies any good, thanks for commenting Heather and Per.

Thanks for those sweets words, John, but well, looks can be deceiving... Sometimes one "needs" or feel the urge to vent blogwise others it feels more apropriate to keep it more private. But that doesn't stop me from appreciate things beautiful around me, but in a more wistful way perhaps.

Oh, I agree, aforkful, peonies are gorgeous, I've always wanted a garden brimming with them and their fragrance, so far it hasn't gone too well. Me and my lack of green fingers... But I very much enjoy this one when it's in bloom anyway, and I have a tiny, tiny other one too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...