Tuesday, July 07, 2020

55 books

books 2020 - and cats

Last year was the year when I decided to join GoodReads. Thought it was a good year to do so since I managed to read 52 books, Which may not be a big deal for you super book nerds out there, but for me, who have struggled with my reading mojo since my burnout (just previous to when I started this blog, which makes it over 15 years...), it's a really big deal.

This year I sat the goal to 55 books being read. I'm 4 books behind schedule, but still, I think 44% ie 24 books read already is pretty good.

Far from everyone has been a good read. But you can see which ones I've enjoyed the most from the stars given on GoodReads. So far I'm especially happy to have rekindled with Haruki Murakami's books. Despite it's 500ish pages, the Killing Commendatore, part I was a surprisingly quick read. I remembered how much I adore his writing style. Begun part II immediately, but I thought I should make it a slower read. And try to finish some shorter books in between.

books 2020 - and cats

This book is fantastic too, Norwegian writer Maja Lunde's acclaimed "Blå" (or in English 'The End of the Ocean'). For being such a tough and heartbreaking topic, the progress of climate change between the mid 20th to the mid 21st century. It's impossible to put down. I would actually go as far as to say it's one of the best books I've ever read.

books 2020 - and cats

If you want to read up on China, past and present, this is a few recommendations of mine. Jan-Phillipp Sendker's two latest books I've read this year, and am reading, the other ones are old, memorable ones from years ago. Including Swedish Henning Mankell's 'The Man from Beijing' ('Kinesen', you get to understand a lot of what made China to what it is through that book, and yet it's a fictional thriller).

books 2020 - and cats

I've also "rediscovered" Maria Lang's suspense novels with the dashing inspector Christer Wijk. I remember devouring them all (I think there's about 45 books by her) when I was a kid/teen. I realised I have 13 books of her's in my bookshelves, so I decided to read them this year. I wish I had them all, but this will do for now. Will have to look them up in thrift stores (whenever that is possible again...) and start a collection. She's Swedish equivalent to Agatha Christie, she lived in the pretty smalltown Nora, so most of her books are set there (then called Skoga) or in Stockholm. They're quite enjoyable, and easy reads, the characters are heavy smokers and the gender roles are rather skewed (written between 1949 - 1990), but  if you're able to look past that because of those times I think you'll enjoy them.

books 2020 - and cats

One of the books I'm currently reading is Shinrin-yoku (Forrest Bathing) by Dr Qing Li. Beautiful and fascinating book. I hope to be wiser and more open to using more of my senses when I go for walks in the woods after I've finished it.

books 2020 - and cats

You may remember the special relationship I have with the number 55, since 2017. The beautiful Stockholm city library is situated at number 55 by the way. It seem's befitting that 55 books read is a decent goal for a year when so much is turned upside down, I think. So much is about waiting these days, and with no place to go, reading is travelling in your mind at least. Making the slow life more meaningful and enlightening.

What's your book goal for 2020? 
Have you read something amazing yet? 
Or something you find overrated perhaps, or really bad even?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...