Wednesday, July 22, 2020

one week, two losses

brits in the garden

I can't believe I'm writing this, but today my mother's other cat passed away too. Just one week after his brother. He suddenly started to throwing up in the middle of the night, went wobbly and week. Little mum took him to the vet in the morning (and we agreed that we shouldn't put an elderly cat through examinations and tests) and he suggested  X-rays and ultrasound

but after everything I had to go through with Ztina, over these past couple of years, and how costly that has been, when it was caused by her teeth, something I should think would be pretty basic for a vet to do a thorough check of before doing extensive and expensive tests, I get a distinct feeling he always try to add as much as possible to the bill, not doing things in the interest of the animals or the owners. Unfortunately. I really really really miss my old best vet, but she sadly closed her practice years ago. This one is the only one close enough to walk too. And I was really grateful for the emergency treatment Zigne got back in 2016. So it is what it is, when you don't have a car.

- for a 15 year old cat clearly in pain and not at all himself anymore. We decided the only merciful thing was to put him to sleep.

This is really an extra sh***y thing to happen right now. When life is so restricted, and beloved pets bring so much important comfort, companionship and cuddles when social life with other humans is down to about 5% of what it used to be.

Unexpectedly losing Waldemar last month, was tough, but not nearly as traumatic and unexpected as losing the only two cats one has within a week. I feel heartbroken for my mum, she's devastated.

I hope that she'll be able to land in this, and not feeling guilty about the decision (because you always feel guilty as a pet owner, whatever you decide or didn't notice or could have done differently...), and look forward to hopefully find a couple of shelter cats that need a new, caring home.

I'm not sure how the process would be amidst a pandemic with zero possibility to visit shelters, but when it's possibly they at least let elderly people adopt non-kitten cats if someone younger can sign a responsibility agreement.

Unfortunately I don't seem to have a lot of photos of Rupert uploaded to Flickr, but here's his hiding under the hosta in my garden, some months before he moved. With Pelle in the middle and my now long gone Agnes.

Thank you for all the years you spent in our lives, Rupert Royal Pavilion, and mostly for bringing  cuddles and companionship to my mum, like only kitties can, it was a joy to bring you up and get to know you. Much love.

1 comment:

Poppy Q said...

Sorry to hear about Rupert. You made the kindest decision.

I read an article years ago about a UK shelter that let pensioners adopt the oldest cats/dogs to give them a home for free. If something happened to the owner the pets could also be returned. A good way to give a pet a good home.

Julie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...