Saturday, September 01, 2007

It's A Sin

070901 007
Some years ago we by chance discovered a little gem of a restaurant, beside the road, in the vicinity of the - in my humble opinion - overrated cake castle of Taxinge. Overrated not only because I don't think something should be marketed as a buffet when it really isn't, it's just displayed as a buffet, you still have to pay per piece of cake. And still the cakes on offer isn't really my cup of tea. But the castle and gardens are really lovely!

And then we have this absolutely wonderful restaurant on the left hand, just before you get to the castle, that I really implore you to try out instead. It's unpretentiously tucked away behind an arbour, the old red brick house (an old shop) with a certain old fashioned English ambiance to it is charming, but the best thing is really to sit outdoors. Since it's basically only a summer restaurant that's almost always feasible.

I'm, a vegetarian since there were only two TV-channels available in Sweden, sometimes slip and fall into the fishtank. Less and less, but yes it happens. And at this place they've always had a really deliciously prepared fish dish - the menu has always been extremely short, but oh so good - which I've opted for.

This time though, I asked for a vegetarian alternative and they were really accommodating - an extra plus for that! - and I just say, my oh my, am I glad I asked, because I was served the most fantastic risotto with chanterelles, garlic and spring onions - and I'm no risotto fan, too much of mushy babyfood for me - and grilled halloumi. How did they now I'm addicted to halloumi?!
070901 001
And like that wasn't enough, I had a simply divine dessert, a creme brulee - which I've never been a fan of either - with blackberries & raspberries (top pic). Ah something that good must be sinful... The whole meal and the feeling afterwards can almost only be described as a completely satisfied sort of...um, post carnal pleasure thing, adding a very round tummy.
Meat eaters swear by the homemade burger, that's always on the menu. And someone whispered in my ear that the pecan fudge pie was amazing...
070901 009
The name of the place? Taxinge Krog (Inn), roadmap. New proprietors, but the food is still as good, and the website has finally become a decent one, with photos that makes this place of wild strawberries some justice. Oh, do visit!
070901 015

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmm! Marvelous pictures--now I want dessert! :):)

Pia K said...

Thanks, sher, definitely one of the best meals I've ever had!

ritu said...

ilove creme brulee specially if they have got it right.. which is custardy and room temprature inside, hot and crisp on the outside.
right now we do a creme brulee with candied ginger

Pia K said...

Oh, do I have to mention that was the exact consistency of the creme brulee in the pic...;)

With ginger, that sounds yummy!

Paul said...

mmmm... the crème brûlée does look sinful...

Pia K said...

Sadly they didn't have it still on the menu this past summer, they've also had a mean cardamom pannacotta once, and somehow they're very good at renewing the menu. At the same time as it is pretty darn annoying to not be able to have that positively sinful dessert again...:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...