Monday, September 03, 2007

A Night at the Cinema

070805 013
Believe it or not, this is actually a cinema! Isn't it totally quaint and charming? It's situated in the small community of Örsundsbro - incidentally the place where my maternal grandfather was born and raised - between the towns Enköping and Uppsala, in the vicinity of Alsta Gardens. It was built in 1925, or rather an old barnhouse was transformed into a cinema then, by a local carpenter.

Movies where shown at the Old Cinema in Örsundsbro until 1961, and follies were held, then it fell into a a deep sleep. Until a society was formed in 1987 and the rebuilding of the run down cinema began. In 1992 it was opened up again, for movies and cultural happenings. If you want to know more about the cinema and its history and future, read here, only in Swedish though.

I've never had the opportunity to see it from inside, even less to catch a movie there. But I'm sure it must be absolutely delightful!

5 comments:

ritu said...

it is lovely.. out here we call them Talkies" the old style small cinemas unfortunately most have been converted into fancy cinema halls now

Truffle said...

It looks absolutely delightful! Such a lovely photo.

Pia K said...

Thanks, ritu and truffles!

Talkies, there's a new word and concept for me.

Btw, truffles, love that cake with raspberries photo of yours, chocolate and raspberries are a match made in taste heaven I think:)

stromsjo said...

I've had plenty of opportunities to see the inside as well as catch a film there. And like many other things in life, you don't appreciate what's easily available so I never entered. Yet. Thanks for reminding me. I think it's sort of a summer thing, this cinema. Nothing commercially viable of course.

Pia K said...

I wonder why we work like that, take things for granted, and then never get around to doing the things we ought to... - which is a whole other topic...:)

Do go and let me know how it was! If I don't get there before you that is:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...