Monday, September 17, 2007

Movietime

Some movies that have been flickering in front of me as lately, being more or very less memorable...

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - in my opinion the weakest of the so far five HP movies, or is it actually possible one might have become a bit tired of the concept... 3/5

Orange County - and I don't mean the series, which I quite enjoyed, but a twerpy comedy that left me with a big yaaawn 1+/5

Dragonfly- or Öyenstikker aka Gryningsland being its original title, a sad story about raggedy people, an eternal triangle that never really grips but only scratch the surface. And I would probably have appreciated the movie more if one of the actors hadn't been one of Sweden's most overrated ones, Mikael Persbrandt...+2/5

Try Seventeen - even before Elijah Wood became a hobbit I concider him to be one. Ok now and then he can act, but for me he will forever remain a little boy, perhaps endearing, but still a boy. Hence any kind of love stories with him can't in any way be seen as credible 2/5

Pauline & Paulette - awardwinning Belgian dramacomedy about Pauline, a 66 year's old retarded woman who's cared for by her younger sisters. The main character is absolutely brilliantly played, a both moving and sad film in all its simplicity, +3/5

8½ woman - in general I find Peter Greenaway's weird and wonderful movies completely fascinating. Not to mention accompanied by Michael Nyman's alluring music. But sometimes they're *a bit* too thick for me, and others they're mainly just odd and boring. 8½ woman was the latter kind of movie, juvenile weird and without the slightest hint of wonderful -2/5

Dodgeball, A True Underdog Story - guess what, I had no idea dodgeball meant spökboll, ghostball, as its called in Swedish, before I saw this educative movie... One of my favourite games at school's gymclass, but never played as fiercely and with as many balls as in Dodgeball though... A completely hilarious movie, from main characters to supporting actors, -4/5

Quills - an intense, witty, in parts amusing but mainly brutal and sad movie about the marquis de Sade and his time in the asylum Charenton. Main character played by brilliant Geoffrey Rush, supported by other great actors like Kate Winslet, Michael Caine and Joaquin Phoenix, -4/5

Hitch - I very much enjoyed this romantic comedy, so much better than I had anticipated. Fun, endearing, giving food for thought *imagine that!*, unfortunately the end was hotch-potched together in a sloppy way, hence the minus -4/5

The Prestige - a movie I had really looked forward to watching, and then it turned out to be so utterly predictable! How tedious... But it was beautifully made, and with good actors, even if it was far from their best performances... 3/5

The Last King of Scotland - another film I had very much looked forward to see, and as it turned out being very disappointed of. The only shining thing about it was Forest Whittaker, who won a welldeserved Oscar for that chilling performance as Ugandan dictator Idi Amin. Other than that it was just too sketchy, but for a few scenes, 3/5

The Kid Stays in the Picture - a documentary about an, apparently, legendary Hollywood producer and his life in the movies. I know many rave about it, but I just didn't get it... Yes, it was kind of fun to hear the story behind The Godfather, Rosemary's Baby and Lovestory, but all in all, a dull movie which made for a lot of fast-forwarding... -2/5

Full Frontal - I believe Steven Soderbergh is inconceivably uneven as a director, he has made absolutely brilliant movies such as Traffic, Far From Heaven and Syriana, and the übercoolish Ocean's-trilogy. But also quite the opposite *ie crap* ones like Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Out of Sight and this Full Frontal. What can I say, what a waste of time, of talented actors, why oh why...? +1/5

Frida - a really fascinating life story, stunningly colourful and dramatic, but somehow this screen adaption of Mexican painter Frida Kalho never really touched me, I'm still not sure what I think of it... 3/5

This Year's Love - an English movie pretending to be a romantic comedy, but really it's just a completely sad story about a more or less raggedy group of people in London's Camden Town and their search for love. Good actors, but more than rather depressing I'd say... -3/5

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...