Friday, March 13, 2009

lentil soup


IMG_5225

When the weather deities are playing tricks with spring, this is just the soup to chase the winter blues away. Easy peasy to make, flavourful, creamy, delicious, healthy, feelgoody, yet another soup favourite is this lentil soup ~

4 portions

1 yellow or red onion
2-3 tbsp garam masala
1 cinnamon stick
3 tbsp rapeseed oil
200 g yellow or red lentils
1 tin crushed or sieved tomatoes
5-8 dl vegetable bouillon, depending on how thick you want the soup
salt, black pepper (and a dash honey if you like)
(sprinkle with chopped parsley or mint)

Chop the onion and fry it with garam masala, cinnamon stick and oil in a big saucepan on medium heat for a few minutes. Make sure it doesn't burn. Add the lentils and stir. Pour the crushed or sieved tomatoes and the bouillon in the pan and let it simmer under lid for about 20 minutes until the lentils are soft. Season with salt, pepper and a dash of honey. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

I love lentils. This soup looks delicious. Have you tried to use the spice cumin in lentils. We love this 'mexican' spice. I also use cumin and chilli jam which I make from Jalapeno chillis, when I cook the beans for Nachos. (Cumin is an aquired taste but once you are hooked...)

Anonymous said...

Oooh! This look slovely! I'll have to try it out sometime soon!

xox

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Absolutely lovely Pia! What a gorgeous soup :)

Anonymous said...

I can almost smell the wonderful soup right over the net.

Pia K said...

Thanks, Titania, I do enjoy spice cumin too. Haven't tried it with lentils, but now it's definitely on my to do with food-list.

You do that, heidikins, and let me know how it turned out, ok? The dessert is a rather obvious one I should think...:)

Thanks, Holler!

Of course you do, Kari, it was so fragrant and lovely I wouldn't be surprised about such an effect:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...