Thursday, August 30, 2007

More Books...

...and I suppose they all, in their very own and varied way revolve around the thing called love. All three definitely have their merits, I thoroughly enjoyed reading them all, even though two of them really, really are two new all time favourite books.

So to keep you in suspense a bit longer I'll begin with the third one - which is actually a suspense novel, in the style of Stephen King one might say. But by a Swedish author and set in Stockholm and vicinity. Which certainly makes for rather a chilling reading experience close to home. And the cover picture sure doesn't help for shaking those feelings of discomfort off - I always made sure the book was turned upside down when I turned off the lights at night.

Well, it sort of isn't a book I recommend you to read before you go to sleep either. Oh, I'm getting a bit soft with age I guess - I used to be able to read and enjoy these kind of books without losing any sleep. Now I prefer night time books that leave me with a nice comforting feeling...

The Handling of the Undead (Hanteringen av odöda) by John Ajvide Lindqvist deals with what happens after days of heatwave in Stockholm when thousands of deads awake and once again walk the streets. The personal impact it has in different people's lives, the emotions, the grief, the sorrow with having to handle the death and re-life of loved ones. Well written, not unnecessarily gross in details, giving the chills. The ending is somewhat hazy - loose ends are said to be knot together in his third book Paperwalls/Pappersväggar - already in my pile of to-read-books - a collection of short stories.

Even if this second book was well worth reading, I do think his debut novel Let the Right One In - about school hazing, not fitting in, about vampires in the Stockholm suburb of Blackeberg - was a cut above. Eerily sad and lugubriously moving.

Je l'aimais (I loved him) by Anna Gavalda is of far fewer pages than the wonderful Hunting and Gathering, but it still strikes the same emotional, moving cord. This book of a mere 159 pages holds both grief, joy, regret, sadness, dreams, humour and thoughtfulness. Vital questions are asked, the answers are yours to find, which is the right thing to do, stay or go. The importance of never ever undervalue yourself as you, and not just as a part of a relationship that's falling into pieces. Fantastic book, I love Gavalda's way of writing, uncomplicated, but never simple, like the quiet conversations we have with ourselves.

I think I've discovered so many new favourite writers these past few years, it might have something to do with the fact that I finally have found my way back to enjoying what I've always loved, reading books. After having some years of my mind, my being preoccupied with other matters, I just couldn't get enough of actually being able to find happiness in books again. Starving for words, devouring them like never before, and along the way finding some amazing writers.

One of them being Swedish Maria Ernestam, I read her debut novel Caipirinha with the Death last year and it just nearly literally blew me away - extremely well-written, resembles Gavalda's style but a notch more sophisticated. The plot is so brilliantly ingenious I'm in complete awe. One day Death knocks on the door, what happens when you invite him for dinner. I implore you to find out for yourself, by reading this wonderful book!!

The second book by Ernestam, the one I finished recently, is Buster's Ears, about deep, dark family secrets and the will to survive, about life and love, roses and possible forgiveness. And how capturing aren't these opening lines; I was seven years old when I decided to kill my mother. But it wasn't until I turned 17 the decision was executed...

The slowly, and beautifully written, way small as well as large secrets are uncovered all through the book, until the last few pages really, is fascinating. Caipirinha is really a cut above - I can but imagine it must be more than extremely difficult to write a follow-on with the same kind of eloquently inventive mastery - but really, Buster's Ears are so worth reading too, more than worth. Please do!

2 comments:

ritu said...

just ordered caipirinha with death.. some one else told me about it as well, and now I have to read it...

Pia K said...

Good choice, you're in for a literary ride for sure, ritu!

Even if I find new favourite books on a regular basis I rarely really, really rave about them, with some exceptions, and Caipirinha is one of those amazing exceptions:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...