Sunday, May 15, 2011

tjolöholm castle

IMG_3673

Long time readers of this blog know I’m a castle buff. For the architecture, ambiance, gardens and the magic, fairytalish feel  – the interior rarely interests me, in general, seen one seen them all. But again, of course I love the exceptions. One such is the pretty Tudor castle Tjolöholm situated on a peninsula, in a nature preserve are, on the southwest coast of Sweden.

IMG_3701

Built at the turn of the 18-19th century, in a mix of Tudor and Swedish national romanticism (it does somehow remind me of that old house in Häverödal...) it is Sweden's leading Arts and Crafts property. The original interior from Liberty department store in London has been preserved. The beautiful castle is also filled with quirky details (both indoors and outdoors), surprisingly modern comforts and I remember loving the guided tour we went on many years ago.

IMG_3736

Admittedly I don't remember much about the castle's story, but if my memory serves me right, the sad story was that the lord of the manor died from lead poisoning after having wrapped a cut with tinfoil paper from a champagne cork. The castle wasn't completed when he died and his wife was left with finishing the built. She too passed away a few years after its completion. Leaving the castle to their daughter and her family. After the 1950ies the castle slowly delapidated and was later bought by the local county. Since the late 1980ies it is run by a foundation.

IMG_3724

In the castle garden there's this life sized ghostly statue - which I, with my thing for statues, find both ridiculously scary as well as very beautiful - that I think may have been a part of a mausoleum for the couple.

IMG_3685

A couple of summers ago we passed the castle on our way home from summer holidays and as I really wanted to see the air balloon horses (by a Canadian artist I since have forgotten the name of, sorry) on the premises we made a quick stop and a stroll in the vast gardens (I wholeheartedly love and applaud free castle garden entrances).

IMG_3720

Behind the castle - which has a truly splendid bay view - there's a small public beach, seemingly quite popular for all sorts of occasions.

More information about Tjolöholm castle (and the different functions and events there) can be found at their website. If you happen to be in the neighbourhood, it is very much a well worth visit (preferably tad off peak summer season and weekends I'd say...)

IMG_3790

IMG_3717

IMG_3713

IMG_3783

IMG_3731

IMG_3757

IMG_3741

IMG_3773

IMG_3750

IMG_3762

8 comments:

Melanie said...

So magical and enchanting! I'd love to spend a day or two just exploring such things!

Elephant's Child said...

That is so, so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Growing Up Gramma said...

I would love to see a castle some day! That is something we lack here in the US.

How are you feeling, is your cold gone yet?

Unknown said...

Ah, labours of love ! So many castles have similar stories of the builders dieing before they get an opportunity to share their love for it and in it . Sad.

Expats Again said...

Good photos. I would love to explore this one day.

RedPat said...

Lovely shots! I have seen those inflatable horses here in Toronto but I too forget the artist's name.

RedPat said...

Just remembered - Max Streicher is the horse artist.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful castle! And I am jealous as well, we don't have castles in Australia. Of course, the inflatable horses are just special. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...