Thursday, February 12, 2009

the stockholm super semla (that once was)

IMG_3777
~
So okay, I'm not a fan of eating the traditional Swedish lenten buns (sing. semla, plur. semlor) before Fat Tuesday. I'm a finicky traditionalist that semla way. In general. And technically speaking it wasn't really me who stumbled over a lenten bun this afternoon, I was only as if by magic - or rather my cosy-café-bakery-tentacles, which are patent pending - drawn to the bakery itself. I then opted for, in my usual modest way, a cinnamon bun (which wasn't half bad but perhaps not as extraordinary as its bread sibling.)

But then I got to taste the lenten bun and oh me oh my. It was just so unusual in a very, very, very good way. Ways really, as in
  1. the almond paste was the most amazing I've ever had, it was the kind of almond paste one secretly dreams of. It consisted of very coarsely ground almond bits and I believe it was as close to almond paste heaven as one can possibly get. And it was the perfect amount of it, not too much not too little.
  2. the whipped cream had an unusual and very appealing dash of fruity flavour to it. And as the almond paste, the perfect amount of it.
  3. the wheat bun was a chunky little thing, nothing hoity-toity airy about it. Chewy, compact, with the right amount of cardamom flavour and with a very very non-mass produced feel to it.
  4. the size was perfect, neither ridiculously oversized nor silly small, just... extraordinary perfect.
  5. made from organic ingredients.
EDIT 2015 - this semla is sadly not the least bit as good as it once was. The almond paste is cheap and supermarket-y and the bun/bread isn't as good either. Definitely not worth the extra trip if you don't live nearby. Alas.

IMG_3780

This semla and other organic breads and buns can be had and bought at Gamla Enskede Bageri, Stora Gungans väg 2, Enskede, tel 08 - 659 14 00. Not exactly a sit-all-day-super-cozy-place, with only six chairs, but really quaint and charming just the same, you have pretty much free sight into the bakery and oven area in this old, presumably, dairy shop. Needless to say, a very recommended stop if you happen to be in the vicinity of the suburb Enskede.

EDIT 2015 - this isn't such a small cafe/bakery anymore. In fact it hasn't been for years. The tram mob has invaded and if you're not there really early the sound level can be quite deafening. But the sourdough bread and rolls are excellent and great to take with you of course.

Or well, if you're not in the vicinity, then take a trip there and get a semla for yourself anyway. It'll most definitely be worth it. The old quaint residential neighbourhood around the bakery is simply made for lovely pre- or post-semla walking and dream house spotting. And no, the dream house epithet doesn't derive from the Stockholm super semla being made and sold in the corner bakery only.

IMG_3768

3 comments:

Poppy Q said...

Pia, that bun looks yummy.

I laughed when I looked at your ipod listings. I love Everything but the Girl. You can tell we are close in age and tastes, as I have the same tunes too.

Have a nice weekend.

Julie and Poppy Q

Anonymous said...

Would this bun, which looks absolutely delicious be very messy to eat?

Pia K said...

Some of my taste in music and artists I don't know anyone close to me who shares, Julie, so I'm always delighted when someone finally steps up and agrees:) Hope you've had a good weekend too!

Well, Eveningson, I always eat it in a rather civilized way, with spoon and try not to make a big mess of it. Others just stuff it in their mouth = messy, but in a pleasant way, and some have the (disgusting) habit of eating in spoonfuls with warm milk in a bowl. Lots of traditions surrounding this traditional bun:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...