Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Human Touch

I've never really been a touchy-feely hugging cuddly kind of person - except when it comes to furry animals - too much of that from friends and families, not to mention new acquaintances, makes me feel quite uncomfortable. I don't know you, I don't want to play contact sport on the first date, take a step back, keep your hands to yourself, thank you very much. In general.

But, what I've come to discover during these past years is that when hugs come from people that actually mean it, not just a wimpish social superficial thing, it's so very comforting. That kind of simple human touch is just so pleasantly endearing. Sometimes you don't even realise that you need a hug until you get one of those big-warm-I'm-here-for-you-ones. Very likable.

Another kind of human touch are different kind of massages and therapies - for medical and stress-relief purposes I've been having them on a semi-regular basis for some years. Trainee treatments at a very reasonable price. I'm just so glad I discovered them! They've done wonders for sore muscles and aching limbs, and I don't think it's only the massage work, it is that warm human touch that's comforting in itself.

I definitely prefer the vigorous kind of massage before the sissy one. Really, I haven't got a clue as to why some people decide to train as masseurs when they obviously have *a bit* of a problem with both the strength as well as the touchy part. The majorly weird trainees have actually had rubber gloves on... Talk about having chosen waaay wrong line of work...

Back on track then. I know quite a few people can't stand being massaged, since they feel it's kind of intimate. Which it really isn't - or at least shouldn't be if it's a professional spa-masseur - we're all just a piece of meat being kneaded on a bench. And the possible wibbly-wobbly bits just give them a bit more to work with. That's it.

These trainee treatments are performed in large rooms with only curtains between the different masseurs/clients. So you get to hear all sorts of peculiar behaviour from different clients, some are just terrified of being touched - which makes the choice of having a massage at all really very odd... - others are really querulous, others just can't stop talking - which makes it sort of impossible to completely relax next-curtain.

I've also had my fair share of oddball masseurs - apart from the rubber gloved ones then - to mention but a few;

the ones that don't leave the room while you undress/dress,

the ones that think it's strange if you leave the bra on/take it off - which is something I'm still not completely sure as to whether you should or shouldn't... -

not to mention the ones that have no idea how a bra is buttoned - strangely enough always guys...

Myself I don't think I've ever really had a problem with massages like these being too intimate, since there are always boundaries that aren't, and shouldn't be, crossed - and the seat- and tummy-part of the session is really amazingly stress relieving... I admit, if you get the odd Adonis as a masseur, which actually can happen, you tend to think a bit more about the fact that you maybe didn't shave your legs, or *shudder* the armpits..., that you're possibly wearing really ugly knickers or the hair isn't washed the same day, and those curvy shapes can perhaps feel a bit too flaccid for comfort... Nota bene, the choice of pronoun "you" and not "I" here...

Today my masseur turned out to be, perhaps not the Adonis kind, but at least a kind of sugary boy. His massage was quite alright - although I discovered I apparently don't have all those darn sore muscles and aching limbs to struggle with anymore, except for that stupid right ankle then... Good news I guess - and he was surprisingly skilled when it came to unbutton/button the bra. But his inclination for smalltalk and the annoying habit of not leaving me alone to undress/dress really deduct the overall experience. But for only having trained for three weeks I suppose he made a good job...

071023 003
This isn't my sugary masseur du jour, but the miniature chocolate ball I after-lunch treated myself to at Vurma's newly open branch. About a big toe in size and absolutely delicious!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Best massage I ever had was in Stockholm actually. Not only was the massage the perfect pressure, the girl massaging me had the gentlest nature. I almost cried at the end when she told me it was all over!

Pia K said...

The world famous Swedish massage originates from Stockholm and Axelsons Institue, where I have my trainee sessions now and then, so of course you're bound to have good massages here...;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...