Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Granola on Fat Tuesday

IMG_4310
~

Yes today is Fat Tuesday - and I'll most probably, hopefully, get my lenten bun at my not so secret place of super semlas - so what better way to start a day that most certainly won't end very healthy (but for the soul that is) with something that's really good for you and your tummy. Granola. Or muesli as we Swedes say as in "müsli".

In general not a big fan of that am I, nor of corn flakes or any crunchy stuff you put in your milk, yogurt or sour milk (not as bad as it sounds, just plain Swedish "filmjölk".) I faintly recall kind of liking a bit of cornflakes in a bowl when I was a child, with sourmilk, ginger and sugar. Ages ago, statute-barred.

But this crunchy granola concoction - served with sour milk and some apple sauce - I quite like now and then. And I'm sure eating this will more than level any semlas eaten today. Or any day really. Recipe as follow, easy to change, omit and put together in accordance with your own nutty preferences. I'm sure that if you like fruity bits in your granola some dried berries and fruits might work really well in there too. Recipe as follows ~


3 dl spelt flakes
3 dl rye flakes
3 dl rolled oats
½ - 1 dl bran
3 tbsp flax or psyllium seeds
1 dl pecans, walnuts, macadamia
2 dl sunflower seeds or
1 dl sunflower seeds and 1 dl pumpkin seeds
1 dl chopped hazelnuts or almonds
3 tbsp brown sugar

Sprinkle it all out in a long roasting pan, roast in oven for about 30 minutes at 150-175 degrees C until everything is golden brown.
~

IMG_4573
~

The ingredients I use are all organic, hence making this post another version of celebration of green this week.

2 comments:

Kaylia Metcalfe said...

I am a fan of the granola... but sour milk and applesauce added in?

No thanks.

Happy Fat Tuesday :)

Pia K said...

Hey Kay, I always find it fascinating how many of our childhood food (or otherwise)habits make us like or dislike certain things later in life. Be it family or country food-traditions. I really came to like the sourmilk applesauce thing when I was a child, and although I'm not an avid eater of that today, when I do have a bowl of granola or corn flakes that's a must for me:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...