Monday, October 18, 2010

false cheesecake

021

Swedish cheesecake "ostkaka" is quite different from the American (?) version. Traditionally it's made by adding rennet to milk and letting it coagulate, then stir in cream, egg, almonds and bitter almonds. Serve with jam and whipped cream.

The consistency is rather loose, like rice pudding and it tastes really lovely, as a dessert or a naughty meal. Though I haven't had it for years since it's sadly not vegetarian. I'm sure you can recreate it as a vegetarian version, but I've never had a real inclination to try.

031

When I found a recipe for "falsk ostkaka" = false cheesecake at lovely Växplats Nybyn, I was very eager to try it out though. And so I did today. It turned out lovely. I tweaked the recipe - as I'm no fan of bitter almond, the other almond kind where nowhere to be found in cupboard and I always try to use oats milk in cooking and baking instead of regular milk - and this is what went into the false Swedish cheesecake -

serves 4-6

2 organic free range eggs
0,5 dl caster sugar
2 tbsp white flour
2,5 dl oats milk
500-550 g mashed fruit pulp
(like apple, banana, pumpkin, melon, kiwi, but there's really no limit but your imagination)
0,5-1 dl sunflower seeds

Whisk eggs and sugar. Stir in flour, milk and fruit mash. Add sunflower seeds. Pour in tin and bake in oven at 200C for ca 45 minutes.

Serve with raspberry/strawberry jam and whipped soy cream.

047


Apparently Sweden celebrates "Ostkakans dag" (Cheesecake day) on November 14. That I didn't now until now, but from here on, there'll be false cheesecake on the table that day.

2 comments:

Kea said...

It looks delicious! I love rice pudding, am not that fond of traditional North American cheesecake (too rich, just a bite is plenty for me). I'll have to follow the link to find out what "rennet" is, though! And I've never heard of oat milk, just regular milk and soy milk. Well, almond milk too.

Oh, I'm hungry now for a bite of something sweet! :-)

A Bun Can Dance said...

A cheesecake day - how fantastic! I want to have a cheesecake day here in the UK !!
I sometimes make a baked cheesecake, and also a simple refrigerated one - both vegetarian. But clearly quite different from yours. I must try to share the recipe over at mine :-)
Lovely to hear from you! As you can tell, from lack of letter, I've not written to you yet - but will soon - it's a bit manic here and so I'm just waiting for a few more days when things should calm down and then I can pen you a letter :-)
Happy days to you,
Denise x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...