Sunday, September 19, 2010

election day

shoe per diem sept 14, 2010
pre-voting and having a shoe-per-diem moment earlier this week

Today is the day of the Swedish national elections. Sweden is in desperate need of a change of direction, on so many levels, and I am too. It's a special and good feeling when one can go vote with solidarity and selfishness in mind at the same time.

I am so not loyal to any party or alliances, because I do not believe in party politics -
or the abundance of broiler politicians that completely lack reality anchoring - I vote for good, sensible people or factual issues.

To cut a long story short, and without analyzing any real issues, I voted quite differently at the last election from what I did now. Power corrupts and it's just unfortunate for any society to have the same kind of ruling year after year after decade after... I believe that new ideas, new injections, fresh people, open discussions and a different look at issues are what bring society and the world forward.

Sweden clearly needed a change and a stirring then too. Since then the
right-wing alliance has had a chance to make such good, to make such positive difference over these past four years. Unfortunately the gift of governing has not been cared for and the administration these past four years has been truly heartbreakingly bad for too many people that already had been given a poor deal from life.

I'm under no illusion whatsoever that with a change of ruling from right-wing to left-wing (again) things will be so much better, because obviously if that was true Sweden (with granted all its fantastic benefits compared to other places on this globe) would be an overall better place after all these years of the social democratic party ruling. But I'm reasonably certain it would be better in some areas I care for than things are now.

If people, if politicians, if employers, if employees, if we all as fellow human beings could be more compassionate (towards ALL beings and not only the very self-righteous human being) and ruled by common sense and the noble thought of equality, if we all could take more responsibility for our own doings and non-doings instead of constantly whine and cast the blame on someone else or the presumptive opponent, then we would be on the right track. After centuries. Finally.

For that I wish on this election day. I hope. But I doubt. Since, after all, common sense and compassion rarely go hand in hand with politics.

5 comments:

Kea said...

If people, if politicians, if employers, if employees, if we all as fellow human beings could be more compassionate (towards ALL beings and not only the very self-righteous human being) and ruled by common sense and the noble thought of equality, if we all could take more responsibility for our own doings and non-doings instead of constantly whine and cast the blame on someone else or the presumptive opponent, then we would be on the right track. After centuries. Finally.

Huh. I wish. But human nature does not change, IMO. Nor will politics.

I am VERY cynical with regard to politics, actually. Among other things. Even when people enter politics with the best of intentions, I truly believe they get bogged down by the system. Or they are ousted in short order by the good old boys club.

I don't know anything about Sweden's politics, but I do hope there is positive and lasting change, Pia. But I won't hold my breath.

Pia K said...

no, i know, kea, just like i said i'm under no illusion about that, politicians are most always the same (in the end) as is human nature sadly and the system itself sucks. but one can hope and dream just the same...

Erica said...

And where would we all be, really, without hoping and dreaming? And, of course, the occasional happy suprise. There are some whose do-gooding nature outweighs any standard human selfishness. Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes, these people end up in politics.

I, too, am mostly cynical about politicians. But, first sentence repeated, where would we be without hoping and dreaming?

Poppy Q said...

I hope that some good people find their way into leadership Miss Pia, and changes are made for the better.

Gloria said...

I really don't know much about politics in general, usually just puts me to sleep, but I'm pretty sure common sense ran out the door when it comes to politicians. So I wish you well with your election and hope there will be some good people with good intentions there.

Really enjoyed viewing your blog, love your animal photos too.
Smile today. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...