Tuesday, May 06, 2014

cauliflower tikka masala

cauliflower tikka masala
made a wonderful tikka masala curry with cauliflower, lentils, cashewnuts and a generous amount of fresh coriander for dinner today. flavourful, filling and vegan.

adapted the recipe, i found in a newspaper a while back, to suit me thus the recipe isn't very specific. i will sort my thoughts and update this post with a recipe tomorrow. until then, feast for the eyes at least.

updated with recipe - this is pretty much how I made the curry from yesterday...

6 servings

700 g fresh cauliflower
275 g cashewnuts
250 g lentils (red, green or yellow)
1 jar of tikka masala sauce
1 large yellow onion
1 solo garlic
fresh coriander
salt, black pepper
rapeseed oil
3-4 dl water

Serve with basmati rice

Roast the cashewnuts gently in a dry pan.
Cook the rice. 
Cook the lentils.
Peel, rinse and chop the cauliflower and onion. Fry them in a big pot with the oil. 
Peel the solo garlic, grate it over the pot.
Add the tikka masala sauce and water to the pot. Let it simmer until the cauliflower is cooked.
Add the cooked lentils and roasted cashewnuts to the curry. 
Add a generous amount of fresh coriander.
Season with extra salt and pepper.

a) I love coriander, but if you don't omit it
b) I find that the curry needs more salt than one thinks
c) Despite the cashewnuts I feel it lacks a bit of texture so I'm thinking it would be extra lovely with fried tofu in it

cauliflower tikka masala

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Yum. Though you can keep the fresh coriander. I don't like its smell or taste. The seeds are fine - and I use them often. The leaves? Bleah.

Marie said...

Hee, hee ... I see it's dandelion time in your neck of the woods as well :-)

I'll be watching for the recipe, which sounds rally nice. I recently made Gweneth Paltrow's Roasted Cauliflower and Chickpeas with Mustard and Parsley which was simple and really delicious, if you are looking for more cauliflower recipes. There are a lot of different textures and flavours going on in that dish. I've had to give out the recipe to several people who ate it at my house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...