Friday, September 25, 2009

six books

IMG_6275

Ah, my weekend will definitely involve making some new bookly acquaintances from this fine little pile of freshly arrived books I'm all starry eyed over. From top to bottom there is;

:: Till dess din vrede upphör by Åsa Larsson - (Until your anger cease) my definite favourite female crime writer, Swedish, former tax lawyer her books are so much more than the average mainstream not very well written suspense novel. The stories not only extremely well-written but inventive, multi layered, reality rooted and rather gruesome. This is her fourth book about lawyer Rebecka Martinsson. I am so looking forward to the reading of this book.

:: The Stranger House by Reginald Hill - another favourite crime novelist, this book is however not about stablemates Dalziel and Pascoe but a free-standing story. Now in pocket edition. Should be a neat read.

:: Kinesen by Henning Mankell - (The Chinese) I have to admit I've never read a book by this Swedish mainly crime novels (about chief inspector Wallander) author, international bestselling at that. I've seen most of the Swedish film/TV adaptions of Mankell's books but I've just never been intrigued enough to take on the books. This book (that apparently the whole Dutch Olympic team got to read before the last Olympic games in China) I have however wanted to read since it was released, it seems quite fascinating and now it's finally available in pocket edition.

:: We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee - I've already begun reading this rather original real life story about journalist Mee who, with his family, bought a rather derelict wild life zoo in the English countryside.

:: Espresso Tales by Alexander McCall Smith - second book in the 44 Scotland Street-series. Need not say another word than delightful it will be.

:: Virka! by Frida Pontén - (Crochet!) I borrowed this at the library at first (courtesy my mum really, since I more rarely than rarely frequent the fine library system), found it an enthralling and sweet book with a blend of old and new techniques, full of simple patterns (some more must-do than other). It has a rather wonderful colourful happy feel to it and many sweet photos that really makes one want to immediately crochet, again and again. The equivalent of a candy/toy store for yarn addicted grown ups.

Overall the patterns and explanations are easy to follow, some need tweaking and there's pretty much a total lack of specific yarn information as well as the amount needed for the projects. Which I suppose has both its pros and cons, it does make room for personal improvisation and creativity. But when you can't find that special yarn which looks irresistable in photo or have difficulties to estimate consumption, it is somewhat annoying...

Something that obviously didn't stop me from coveting the book for myself instead of settling for a library version.

Have a happy book reading, crocheting weekend ~

2 comments:

P.K said...

an excellent looking collection, I can say that Espresso
Tales is delightful indeed. My choice for the weekend is In The Kitchen by Monica Ali. Happy Reading!

Pia K said...

i'm sure it is, p.k, and then there are more in the series just waiting to move home to me, that is great me thinks!

i've never read anything by monica ali, for some odd reason i mix her up with zadie smith (whose writing i can't stand)... but maybe i should give her a go, monica ali, which book of hers would you recommend as a first read?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...