Wednesday, January 29, 2014

vegan coconut pannacotta

015

This was the first time I used that agar agar I've had in the pantry for so long. I have to say that it worked well and the texture of this pannacotta was more pannacottaish than the liquorice pannacotta with jelly sugar.

But I also have to admit that I much prefered the overall consistency of the jelly sugar + oats cream pannacotta, over this one with coconut milk + agar agar. Because a) the consistency of the latter is slightly more grainy and b) when poured into glasses and left to set it shifted into a bottom layer of jelly and a top layer of pannacotta. Maybe I did something wrong when I let it simmer, maybe the lemon juice the recipe called for wasn't a good idea or maybe the agar agar was too old.

I can definitely see myself trying this again, pannacotta is such an easy peasy dessert, but I will tweak the recipe. Original recipe in Swedish here

Coconut pannacotta
4-6 servings

1 tin coconut milk (400 ml)
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp lemon zest
1 vanilla pod
juice from one lemon (or not?)
1,5 tsp agar agar

Split the vanilla pod and take out the seeds, put both seeds and remaining pod in a pot with the coconut milk, sugar, lemon zest (and juice?). Let to boil and let it simmer for about 5 minutes. Then add the agar agar and let it simmer for about 1 minute until it has dissolved. The strain the liquid to get rid of the lemon zest and the pods. Pour into glasses or bowls and let it cool.

I served mine with passion fruit and warm raspberries. Original recipe called for rhubarb compote. That would of course be lovely too. As would probably pomegranate.


004

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds interesting, worth a try.

BlueBird said...

I use agar-agar to make home-made jello-o (using fruit juice). For a more "pannacotta" texture, you can try carrageenan, the consistency obtained with carrageenan is more cream like than agar-agar jelly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...