Thursday, July 22, 2010

berliner weisse

berliner weisse

When in Berlin a Berliner Weisse is a must. Even I, who can't stand the foul beverage of beer (pee coloured water with the taste of dirty old wet socks as far as I'm concerned), am smittened by this drink's delicate balance of sour-sweet-fruity-tartness.

The drink (typical of Berlin but existing here and there in somewhat similar versions), which apparently dates back to the 16th century, is a blend of wheat beer and either raspberry syrup or woodruff syrup. "Mit Schuss" = "with a shot" colours the beverage either pink or bright green.

I do prefer the green cloudy stuff, it not only looks absolutely mesmerizing in all its toxic (only in looks) greeness, I find it to taste less beer-ish, tad sweeter and absolutely delicious. The drink is not for instantly gulping down, more for gently sipping and thoroughly enjoying on a warm summer day or night.

Prost!

when in berlin

4 comments:

Poppy Q said...

Looks interesting Miss P. I am with you, I don't like the taste or smell of normal beer.

Looks like a great holiday break, but a bit too hot for me.

julie Q

Clipping Path said...

excellent work Pia! your blog is really nice :)

xinwendo said...

Hey Pia, I arrived in Berlin on 22nd July from Munich. We might have walked passed each other or shoulder to shoulder in this interesting city. how wonderful..

kc_millie said...

Found your blog randomly and love it!

I myself am not a fan of beer either, but the green stuff does look good.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...