Sunday, July 25, 2010

more berlin snaps with reflections



A few more Berlin snaps, they will do for now, but I can't wait until the proper photos are downloaded-uploaded-fixed since there's only so much one can do with a gadget dressed in pink (what might look great in phone or small screen does leave things to be desired when watched on bigger screen...). Anyway, snaps ahoy ~

brandenburger tor

The last time we were in Berlin, the Brandenburger Tor was renovated and covered in fabric. Not so now. I feel that the surroundings of the Tor has changed a lot since some ten years ago, feels much too modern for my liking.

As a lover of the amazing movie "Der Himmel über Berlin" (Wings of Desire) I was so looking forward to seeing the Siegessäule monument again, close up. Sadly this time it was its turn to be covered up and renovated. Ah well, next time...

holocaust memorial, berlin

Part of the Holocaust Memorial (for those who have read the brilliant Arne Dahl books you might recall an important scene taking place here).

berlin wall


The trams we never went with, unfortunately, they looked nice, convenient and I think a good way to explore the city. The underground I didn't like at all, hot, dusty, lack of fresh air, dirty, shabby, old, tired and messy, it took ages to get anywhere with all the changes you had to do. Compared to the Berlin underground system the Stockholm one seems like a wonder of tidiness. (Which it obviously isn't compared to the Athens one...)



A scooter seems like the perfect way to get around the vast city - though I was quite surprised and pleased by all the cyclist on the busy streets. Even though bikers, as usual, seem to have less than common sense in traffic and lack consideration for pedestrians - and easy to park everywhere.



The Checkpoint Charlie area certainly has changed since some ten years ago. And the tiresome touristy track and trap feel is really overwhelming.


I love how the Nivea café - yes it is the skincare brand, they have a café, imagine - shares my views on a piece of cake now and then being health for the soul. As in 'soul balm'.


Fascinating pink pipes here and there. I think they have something to do with the district heating or water system, anyone who knows?

4 comments:

P.K said...

I think the pink pipes are gas. Love your photos. You made it to Cafe Einstein, something on my list if I return. Look forward to more Berlin photos and your impressions.

heidikins said...

These are beautiful! And yes, I am enamored with the pink pipes. ;o)

xox

Hawk and Weasel said...

I think the pink pipes point out where the wall used to be. That's what I heard 10 years ago, but I'm not sure if it's true.

Pia K said...

thanks, p.k, well to be honest, i did find café einstein to be quite boring and average. from the things i saw online it looked original and special, but it was a chain (although nicel furbished). there are certainly much better places to have on your when-return-list:)

thanks, heidikins!

gosh, i really, really need to find out more about the pink pipes, h and w (it might be a good idea to actually ask my berlin friend... duh)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...